Dave has earned a strong reputation for his commitment to supporting the environment, education, neighborhoods, affordable housing, and responsible community development.
He has extensive public policy experience as an environmental professional, a community advocate, and a member of public and non-profit boards and commissions.
Dave has served as a public agency appointee:
- Structural Pest Control Board (president elect), State of California
- Board of Trustees (vice president, past president), Sacramento Yolo Mosquito and Vector Control District
- Parks and Recreation Commission, City of Sacramento
- Oversight Board, Redevelopment Agency Successor Agency, City of Sacramento
- South Sacramento Community Plan Advisory Committee (vice chair), County of Sacramento
- Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee, US EPA, Office of Pesticide Programs
- Pest Management Advisory Committee, California Department of Pesticide Regulation
Dave has been a leader of community groups:
- Parent-Teacher Council (vice president, science chair), Leonardo da Vinci K-8
- Sacramento Mutual Housing Association, Board of Directors
- Sacramento County Alliance of Neighborhoods, Vice President
- People United for a Better Sacramento, President
- Fruitridge Manor Neighborhood Association, President
- Sacramento Urban Creeks Council, Board of Directors
- EcoWise Certified IPM Program, Steering Committee
- EcoLandscape Working Group
Dave holds a Master of Science degree in Entomology and Nematology from the University of Florida at Gainesville, and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California at Berkeley.
Professionally, Dave is an Environmental Specialist for Sacramento County, where he has worked for almost 22 years. He is recognized as a public policy leader in protecting natural resources by effectively influencing state and federal environmental regulations. Focused on protecting water quality, he has established pollution prevention programs, and led collaborative efforts among public agencies, non-profits, and industry groups. Dave wrote the County stormwater pollution ordinance, founded the region’s River Friendly Landscaping Program, and helped create local, statewide, and national integrated pest management programs.
In the community, Dave has led efforts to establish science programs and gardens in local schools, co-founded his neighborhood association, and successfully advocated for public parks, affordable housing, and urban infill. He led a successful efforts to bring a tot lot playground to Fruitridge Manor, adopt the sewer district’s infill ordinance, and ensure sustainability as a goal of Sacramento’s park system.
Dave was born and raised in Los Angeles. His father immigrated to California from Pangasinan Province in the Philippines , and his mother’s family came to California from Kansas. He moved his young family to Sacramento in 1989 to pursue a career in environmental protection.
He is very proud of his adult children who attended Sacramento public schools, and graduated from West Campus High School. His son earned a bachelor’s degree and has started his career, and his daughter is a senior at Sacramento State. Before coming here, Dave had his own business selling wholesale seafood, and worked as a commercial fisherman, whitewater raft guide, and an electrician. Dave enjoys cycling, canoeing, and kayaking.